heading home & NL notes

Today found me driving from Sidney ME to Bristol CT. With no interesting stops, & camping in a ho-hum campground tonight, there are no pics.

Here are a few notes that I collected around NL, but didn't work in to any earlier posts. 

Along the southern coast of Labrador, when heading north, one is "going down the shore"; when heading south, one is "going up the coast". The local who told me this had just returned home after living away for 30 years. She knew that it was somehow backward, & had no idea why they put it this way. 

I mentioned in a previous post how ubiquitous ATVs are there. A few younger men wear army helmets instead of safety helmets - cooler, I suppose. And one ATV had replaced the 4 wheels with treads like one sees on tanks or construction equipment. 

Folks from NL have many fun sayings, & there's a whole book of Newfoundland English. Here are a few of the sayings:

    I dies at you. = I think you're exceptionally funny.              

    How ya gettin' on? = How's it going?                      

    What odds? = Who cares?           

    Whadda ya at? = What are you doing? or How are you doing?       

    Just bout gutfounded = I'm very hungry.               

    Scoff and a scuff = Feast/big meal and a dance

    I’m rotted with the weather. It’s some cold out, wha? = 

         I'm annoyed with the weather. It's very cold out, eh?

    I’m after squatting my finger in the door. = I've smashed my finger in the door. 

    a CFA = a Come from Away = anyone not from NL

    b'y = short for boy, gender neutral, used at the end of a phrase for emphasis

Some more Newfie sayings can be found here: https://encounternewfoundland.com/newfinese-101-words-and-phrases-youre-likely-to-hear-on-the-rock/ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gros Morne: Trout River area

family reunion

Pinware & Point Amour